Wednesday, March 08, 2006

International Women’s day

...I am the sun's toy--because I go against
The grain I feel the brush of my authority,
Its ripples straying from a star's collapse.
If I travel far enough, and fast enough, I seem
To be at rest, I see my closed life expanding
Through the crimson shells of time...

from Venus and the Sun by Medbh McGuckian



113 years ago New Zealand became the first country to introduce universal suffrage and yet Richard H. Robbins asserts that -

Women do two-thirds of the world's work, receive 10 percent of the world's income and own 1 percent of the means of production.*


This stark reality is something to ponder today on International Women’s day. The Global Fund for Women is a group that recognises that the fight for ‘universal’ suffrage goes on beyond the borders of western countries that have largely recognised and protected their female population’s rights. These are some events that are happening in Ireland to mark the day.


*Richard H. Robbins, Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism, (Allyn and Bacon, 1999), p. 354


UPDATE ---
Fiona describes the day's background and lists some related political appointments in Ireland

1 Comments:

Blogger NicoleW said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home